Case4 Periodical Check of the Probe Attachment Site and Repositioning
How frequent should the probe attachment site and repositioning be checked?
Even if the pressure from probe attachment is weak and LED heat generation is low, prolonged exposure to the same condition may cause skin damage. To prevent skin damage, it is important to check the probe attachment site and to move it to a different place at regular intervals.
Note: Although our TL-630T/631T is a reusable probe, it can be worn continuously for as long as a disposable probe because of the soft application surface and the unique attachment structure using tape fixation.
The following patients require the observation of the measurement site and repositioning at shorter intervals because they may have particularly delicate skin or may be unable to complain of pain;
- Patients with high fever
- Neonates and (very) low-birth-weight infants
- Unconscious patients (including those under anesthesia)
- Patients with peripheral circulatory insufficiency
- Elderly patients
- Patients with inflammation or wounds near the measurement site.
Time for Replacement
Because probes are consumables, deterioration of material and performance will occur when they are used repeatedly over a long time. Periodically check and replace probes to ensure reliable and safe use. Failure to perform appropriate replacement and the use of modified products (including alteration of shape) may result in an inability to obtain correct measurements and may cause a risk of harm to the patient (skin damage, injury, etc.).
For All Probes;
- If any of the following conditions is confirmed, replace the probe with a new probe;
- Probe is damaged or disassembled
- Probe is extremely dirty
- Cable is broken
- Light emitter and photo detector of attachment site is dirty or damaged
Obviously abnormal values are detected, or no value is detected If an alert message such as “Check Probe” appears on the main unit, examine the condition of probe attachment site. If the situation does not improve after the probe is replaced, change the probe.
For Disposable Probes;
A disposable probe is designed for single patient use and can be reused on the same patient. However, confirm the following points and replace the probe when necessary;
- Breakage of tape
- There is a risk of an electric shock due to the exposure of electrical wires.
- Deterioration of Adhesivene
- If adhesion is insufficient to ensure stable attachment.
- Extremely Dirty
- There is a risk of bacterial infection due to sweat and body fluids.
- Deterioration of the sponge on the attachment surface (TL-05/06 Series and TL-260T)
- Losing elasticity of the sponge may increase the pressure on the skin during use.
- There is a risk of skin damage and bacterial infection if a sponge is hardened by sweat, body fluid, etc.
Because disposable probes are intended for a single use only, they are not supposed to be cleaned with alcohol or other cleaning agents. However, cleaning of the cable or the connector may also leave an alcohol residue or moisture remaining in the probe itself. In this case, thoroughly dry the probe before use to prevent “short circuiting”, “skin rash” and other potential hazards.